The Sony Xperia P is one of the best smartphones in the market. Here is the simple tutorial about unlocking bootloader and rooting it. Remember that this is to be done at your own risk.
For the rooting process to work, you need to unlock the bootloader. We’ll first discuss the process of unlocking the bootloader and then about rooting the Sony Xperia P.
Rooting prerequisites for Sony Xperia P:
- Ensure that your phone has at least 60-70% battery life.
- Backup all your contacts, logs, sms and rest of useful data.
- Go to menu > Settings > Applications > Development. Enable USB Debugging.
Steps to Unlock Sony Xperia P Bootloader:
- First dial *#*#7378423#*#* to access service menu, tap to Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then continue with the next steps else your device cant be unlocked.
- Take note of your IMEI number by dialling *#06#
- Download fastboot.exe
- Connect your phone to your computer, open command prompt navigate to folder where you downloaded fastboot.exe and enter the command:
“fastboot –I 0x0fce getvar version”
- Enter the IMEI of your phone for which you need to unlock the boot loader and enter details such as email address and name. In case you don’t know your IMEI number you need to visit the Sony Ericsson Xperia P Boot loader page.
- Enter the following command after that:
“fastboot –I 0x0fce oem unlock 0Xkey”
- You have successfully unlocked the boot loader and now you are ready to root your phone.
Steps to Root Sony Xperia P:
Now there are two steps to root xperia p, first is by flashing pre-rooted kernel and another by flashing pre-rooted system image. Let’s look at both.
- Download pre-rooted kernel.elf and save it to the folder where you saved fastboot.exe, restart your device in fastboot by pressing Volume Up + Power Button.
- Flash pre-rooted kernel through fastboot;
“fastboot flash boot kernel.elf”
Let’s look at second procedure now:
- Download system_prerooted_nypon_654.img for the Xperia P.
- Flash prerooted system image through fastboot:
“fastboot flash system system_prerooted_nypon_654.img”
Allow process to complete and then reboot your phone, Voila you’re done.